Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Fabulous

I'm sitting at Soho after work hanging with Raven as she looks at wedding dressed (yes, she's already planning her wedding with Kevin) and waiting for Ken to show up.
Let's see, what's new in my life? Well, i am currently reading Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. I have this weird thing about reading two books at once. It keeps me from getting bored when one book hits a slow point. I read one on the Metro riding to and from work, and the other before I go to bed. I know it's an odd selection to read together, but that's good too. I found the copy of Anna Karenina in my father's basement o' books, and figured I should read it because, well, it's Tolstoy and one of those "great novels" you should read at least once in your life. I'm reading the Dune series again after seeing the movie Dune. I read thee series in high school but it's been a long time and as with all novels I've re-read I realize I missed a lot of subtleties.
Let's see...last Friday I went with Ken to the Laughing Lizard in Old Town Alexandria to meet up with Margo, Fred, and two friends of hers visiting from out West. I think the one girl's name is Charlyse (I think that's the spelling). She was cool, and she's very into vintage clothing, so she brought some stuff for me and Margo to check out. I wound up buying a Navy peacoat from her that I really liked. The Laughing Lizard was a pretty cool place, there was a punk band playing downstairs.
Afterwards me and Ken went to Soho for coffee, only to meet my ex Hitler, er, um Casey, and his roomate/new boyfriend/ex boyfriend/roomate/I don't fucking know what he is, Larry. DRAMA. They sat with us and generally annoyed me with their small talk, despite the fact that Ken was nice enough to give them a ride down the street because it was cold. I was so glad to get rid of them. Ugh. I try being nice, and all I get is grief in return.
Anyway the next night me and Ken went back to Chiaroscuro since we had fun the previous week. Ken met this guy Dan online and decided to meet him there. Dan is I would say about 40-ish, retired Air Force officer, goofy but cute in his own odd way. And he had never been to a goth/industrial club before. So it was interesting to watch. I mostly hung out with Ozzy and his friend Eleanor. We stayed until close and hung out at Soho aferwards until 5. Ken was happy to use "taking Adam home" as an excuse to get away from Dan. Needless to say they didn't hit it off too well. And this Dan guy kept called me "Topher" all night, saying I look like the actor Topher Grace. I've gotten this before. Is it true? I don't think so, but then another guy once said I looked like a Hobbit, and I don't see that resemblance either.

Anyway, find out what "useless skill" you would be with the fun quiz below...

Calliope, Muse of epic poetry
You are 'Latin'. Even among obsolete skills, the
tongue of the ancient Romans is a real
anachronism. With its profusion of different
cases and conjugations, Latin is more than a
language; it is a whole different way of
thinking about things.

You are very classy, meaning that you value the
classics. You value old things, good things
which have stood the test of time. You value
things which have been proven worthy and
valuable, even if no one else these days sees
them that way. Your life is touched by a
certain 'pietas', or piety; perhaps you are
even a Stoic. Nonetheless, you have a certain
fascination with the grotesque and the profane.
Also, the modern world rejects you like a bad
transplant. Your problem is that Latin has
been obsolete for a long time.


What obsolete skill are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

No comments: