Friday, September 25, 2009

Productive Day

I've been very productive, both personally and at work today, which is odd considering it's Friday and usually it's a day I completely blow off, staring at the clock and waiting for the weekend to begin. Actually most of this week has been spent doing just that. Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed with stuff, I fall into an apathetic/catatonic state where I don't have the drive to do anything. Ask me again how I feel next Monday, but for now I'm feeling better overall.

Here's a soup recipe I want to try soon, from the guys who run The Inn at Little Washington. It looks very fall-ish, so maybe I'll be inspired during the day tomorrow... I'll finally get to put my Cuisninart food processor!

Apple Rutabaga Soup

1 stick butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup granny smith apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
1 cup rutabaga, peeled and roughly chopped
1 cup butternut squash, peeled seeded and roughly chopped
(I'd use the pre-chopped squash one finds in stores nowadays, cutting butternut squash is a royal pain in the ass.)
1 cup carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 cup sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
1 qt. chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
salt & cayenne pepper to taste.

In a large saucepan over medium-hi heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, apple, rutabaga, squash, carrots and sweet potato and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent. Add the chicken stock and bring to boil. Simmer 20-25 mins, or until all the vegetables are tender.

Puree the veggies in a blender/food processor. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into pot. Add the cream, maple syrup, salt & cayenne. Bring the soup to a simmer and serve.

No comments: