Thursday, October 16, 2008

1905

My friends have been waiting for this, I know. But before I rake a certain restaurant across the coals (I should’ve been a food critic) I will say that it was great to reunite with friends, even in times when everyone is busy. And allow to me mushy here for sec – I know, I know, what’s that strange feeling in the lump of black ice in my chest cavity? I think it’s called an “emotion.” Quick get me a martini and some pills!

I kid, I kid. Seriously; sometimes even after two years I look over at Sean and think “Wow, he’s really cute.” I love the way at even after a couple years he still can surprise me, and look so handsome.

So last night we all ventured to a new restaurant on ever-changing 9th St NW, called “1905.”

At first I was very impressed with the décor; it’s very bohemian-metro-urban-shabby-chic. I’m not sure what that mean either, but basically it looks like they robbed an Urban Outfitters. Not that that’s a bad thing…

Sadly it seems the owners focused too much on décor and not the reasons people go to restaurants; to eat. I’m not sure what was worse – the waiter who consistently disappeared for so long that I thought I’d need to put his face on a milk carton; the sub-par food; the fact that it took 35 minutes for any entrees to arrive – and when they did one poor friend’s plate came out a full 20 minutes before everyone else’s. Mind you this was not a busy night.

I think the food was supposed to be French bistro (?) but fell flat in my opinion. The frustrating lack of service; the small, inadequate and uninspired menu; the hour it apparently took them to personally dive into the Chesapeake Bay to retrieve my oysters… I’m not really sure what my least-favorite part was. There were so many to choose from.

As one Washington Post writer once put it so greatly: “At least the water was cold.”

1 comment:

mente pensativa said...

Oh, Snap!

I'm sorry I missed the company, but not sorry I missed the restaurant experience. I heard from the Water Witch. How awful! Best the Earthquake witch wasn't there, because there definitely would've been tremors for sure.