Wednesday, April 14, 2004

An Olympic Struggle

Currently Greece is still preparing for the Olympics that will be held this summer in Athens. And they still are not finished! Read the full story at the BNN here.
I have travelled through Greece multiple times, including the summer of 2003 and 2002 and I can say that in the past two years all of Athens has been preparing for the Olympics. Why they still are having trouble meeting construction deadlines is beyond me.
One reason may be the lack of safety in Greek consturction sites. So far there have been 40 to 50 deaths a year in construction there! I find this amazingly tragic, and maybe I can not blame some construction workers for going on strike. Greece should have though of this well before, though. Now the summer Olympics are approaching the motherland of the Olympic Games...and they aren't even ready.

No comments: