Monday, November 23, 2009

Kaiseki

Been working on things in my personal life, as readers may have been able to tell, so I haven't really written much lately.

Weekend before last Sean and I went to Sushi Taro. We tried going once before, but missed our reservations. Ever since the restaurant re-opened and extensive renovations, I've heard nothing but complaints that the place is now too expensive and pretentious.

So, I went in fully expected to be disappointed. And came out feeling like I'd had one of the top 10 meals I've had in my life.

First, I have to explain that yes, the menu has become very expensive. But, I must also stress the sushi is far more authentic, as are the other dishes. Let's face it - teriyaki and California rolls aren't exactly authentic Japanese, or very high-end for that matter.

We opted for the 11-course Kaiseki meal, which is arranged by the head chef every night based on fresh ingredients. I honestly wish I could remember every dish, but everything - especially the exotic, hard-to-find fresh fish - made it a very memorable experience.

I can't wait to go back... perhaps for a future special occasion.



No comments: