Wednesday, July 01, 2009

When Enablers Enable...

You know, this whole Michael Jackson tragedy from last week got me thinking. The more details emerge, the more it becomes clear Michael spent the better part of his life surrounded by enablers, who didn't really care about him at all. And that, I think, is the saddest part of all.

I mean, I see parallels with certain people I know... like, say, "Drunky McDrunkerson." He's surrounded by lots of "important" people and "A-list gays" - all of whom he considers his "friends."

But the truth, of course, is that if they were really his friends then they wouldn't let him sink to his present obesity, and they wouldn't encourage him to continue drinking as an alcoholic. They are not friends. They are enablers.

Real friends, the moral of this posting is, will help a friend get the help they need. They won't just stand by and watch a person self-destruct, be it drugs, booze, overeating etc.

Just a thought...

No comments: