Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Thaim of My Life

I love Thai food, but for the longest time I’ve always had a hard time getting the flavors just right, or finding the right ingredients (like, for example, tamarind paste or fresh lemongrass). There’s one particular sauce at Thai Regent on 18th St that I love, called Kra Prao that goes nicely with seafood or chicken. They have a lovely soft-shelled crab in Kra Prao I highly recommend. Anyway, here’s a homemade version that came out very close in taste I was very happy with…

*Make sure you use Thai basil, not the European basil we’re used to in Italian food. They are very different in taste, and it makes all the difference, trust me!

Chicken Kra Prao

2 chicken breasts, cubed
1 handful of Thai basil leaves, washed
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Thai red chilies, seeded and finely chopped
1 ½ tbsp Thai fish sauce
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp vegetable oil

In a wok, heat oil and fry garlic and chilies until the garlic is golden. Add the chicken and stir-fry until cooked. In bowl, mix fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Add the mixture to the wok and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. About halfway through, begin folding in the Thai basil leaves. Serve with jasmine rice.

No comments: