Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Gaybies

Every so often I see gay couples with kids; it can be two dads with kids at the grocery store, or whatever, and it gets me thinking about that whole paternal instinct thing.

I mean this would be a very “down the road” thing, but I guess at some point you have to start thinking about the future. Not just where I’ll be 5-10 years from now, but other things like would I ever want to adopt. I know Sean and I agree we would adopt – of course so many things would have to fall into place; creating a stable home is no small feat, and then the whole adoption process. It’s scary to think about!

A friend once commented, when one “happy gay couple” (inside joke) with a baby strapped in a papoose walked by at a store that they were just trying to fill an empty void by conforming to hetero-normative expectations. And I certainly think there are couples (gay and straight) who have kids almost as accessories. But I still wonder one day if that could be me.

It means a major lifestyle change too. It’s kinda hard to take a baby in Halo – “I’ll have the black cherry cosmo… and can you warm this bottle for me?” But then, when I reach a certain age, I don’t want to be one of those sad alcoholic pathetic queens hanging around JR’s either! There’s got to be more to life than that, right?!

Two points: A) why are guys with kids that much hotter? And B) No child of mine is using wire hangers. Just putting that out there now. Discuss!

No comments: