Monday, July 07, 2008

soju, so good

"The trouble with America is that there are far too many wide, open spaces surrounded by teeth." -Charles Luckman.

And that, I think is fitting for the 4th of July. This year seemed especially anti-climactic for me. I'm not sure why, but I was very sleepy all weekend. Sean was off Friday and Sunday, and aside from some Soho and Halo, we really didn't go out much. We would have gone out Saturday night, but we got caught in a downpour and go soaked. Actually, it was kinda romantic; I had fun getting wet.
For some reason Sean and I got on this Korean kick after we had dinner at Mandu (which means "dumpling" in Korean) on 18th St near Lauriol Plaza. It actually used to be a Nepalese/Tibetan place called Everest - Margo and I ate there once. While I liked their soju (rice wine) menu, having visited Korea, I felt the food was definitely "Americanized" for Western tastes. For real Korean food you have to go to Annandale, which we did on Sunday. Sorak Garden is consistently good. And then we went to Lotte, the Asian grocery on Fairfax Circle that I love going to. If it's Asian and it's edible, they have it! Oh, and Sean and I went to a hookah bar. That's about my weekend - it was good to just relax. By th way - I still haven't grabbed a copy of The Advocate with Andy on the cover (see below). It's so going on my wall... no I'm not 14 years old.

No comments: