Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Gut, Ja!

I went a little crazy in the bookstore yesterday. I was looking for a book in the travel section on my lunch hour and got waylayed by the cookbooks. I bought 6. But they were on sale! Anyway, one of them was a Scandinavian cookbook, and I was possessed by a weird craving for Swedish meatballs.
So today I worked from home. I honestly had a weird ache - plus it's in my union contract I can work from home, so I took advantage of it. So anyway I made them and they were hella good, way better than anything at IKEA! Of course I've made a few personal twists to my recipe...

Ädäm's Swedish Meatballs

1.25 pounds ground beef
large pinch nutmeg
large pinch allspice
large pinch ground ginger
large pinch dried parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup water (or milk)
1 egg, beaten
oil
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups beef stock
3 tbsp heavy cream
1 small container fresh portobella mushrooms
salt, fresh ground black pepper
Serve with: egg noodles, lingonberry jam

Put the ground beef in a bowl and mix with nutmeg, allspice, parlsey, garlic, salt & pepper to taste and mix with your hands. Add water (or milk) a little at a time, then slowly add egg. Shape into little balls.
Heat oil in pan, and fry meatballs until cooked, let aside. Melt butter in pan, and then slowly add flour. Slowly add stockto form a smooth sauce. Add mushrooms and ginger and bring sauce to a boil, and let the sauce thicken a little. Add cream and mix in; then add meatballs and simmer for 5-10 mins. Serve over egg noodles with lingonberry jam on side.

No comments: