Monday, February 11, 2008

"There's No Place Like Home" *Click Click*

I am so glad to be back home. I was in Detroit much of this week for the Creating Change conference. The conference was a lot of fun – it was great to network with all the faces in the GLBT movement, attend some great workshops, and even have some fun in Motor City (who knew!). As a side note, as our hotel was on the border – I had a lovely view of Canada – am I the only one who saw the irony in having a gay rights conference across from a country where we already have them?? Anyway, I also got to spend time with my aunt, uncle, and grandmother. It seems I also brought the cold back with me (it was 7°F when I left).

The flight though was terrible! I swear I had some of the scariest turbulence I’ve ever experienced. I started to worry when I noticed even the flight attendants looked panicked. Things were flying, people were puking. I have no illusions about any “afterlife” but come on universe! After all the shit I’ve been through I’m not going down in a plane crash! And if I do have to die in a plane crash, certainly not on NorthWest economy! At least make it British Airways first-class!

So I’ve never been happier to land, and there was Sean waiting for me, and I’ve never been happier to see him!!
I have to mention: for dinner we braved the wind and went to the quirky Mark’s Duck House. If you haven’t been there, it’s worth the experience. Their menu is about 20 pages of items in Chinese, some other languages, and sometimes English. It’s the real-deal Chinese cuisine, and it’s a sort of locals’ favorite in Falls Church, Va. Our duck was very good.

I’m still working on Valentine’s Day ideas (I know, it’s 3 days away!) and Sean seems to have something up his sleeve but I don’t know what. We shall see!

No comments: